K-Net manages a large regional data centre that supports a wide variety of mission critical systems. The Server/System Administrator (SA) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. The SA participates is responsible for day-to-day maintenance of server infrastructure. This individual also assists project teams with technical issues in the planning and initiation phases of project development such as server specifications and configuration, maintenance and performance requirements. These activities include the definition of service needs and support of operations staff in executing, testing and rolling-out the solutions. Participation on projects is focused on smoothing the transition of servers from development staff to production staff by performing operations activities within the project life-cycle. This individual is accountable for UNIX and Windows systems that support and applications and network services (DNS, DHCP, DOCSIS provisioning), cellular, K-Net operations (ticketing and inventory systems, network monitoring tools) KO operations (Accpac, Simply Accounting) as well as various programs and services (Dadavan, web hosting and e-mail hosting).
1. SA Engineering and Provisioning:
- Engineers SA-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Sizes and specifies hardware requirements for physical and virtual servers
- Installs new / rebuilds existing servers and configures hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Configures and manages virtual and storage environments; Linux and UNIX operating systems; installs/loads operating system software, troubleshoots, maintains integrity; and configures virtual, storage and network components along with implementing operating systems enhancements to improve reliability and performance.
- Lead for bare metal and virtualization support
- support and track server(s) lifecycle process
- Develops and maintains installation and configuration procedures.
- Contributes to and maintains system standards.
- Researches and recommends innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identifies approaches that leverage resources and provide economies of scale.
2. Operations and Support:
- Performs daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Performs regular security monitoring to identify risks, mitigate threats, and detect possible intrusions; performs regular file archival and purging as necessary.
- Creates, changes, and deletes user accounts per request.
- Provides Tier 2 support per request from internal and partner staff. Investigates and troubleshoots issues.
- Repairs and recovers from hardware or software failures. Coordinates and communicates with impacted constituencies.
- Applies OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrades administrative tools and utilities. Configures / adds new services as necessary.
- Upgrades and configures system software that supports infrastructure applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintains operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Performs periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Performs ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configures CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintains data centre environmental and monitoring equipment.
- A post-secondary diploma or degree in computer engineering
- 2-3 years of experience managing UNIX (Centos/Ubuntu) and Windows (2008, 2012) servers and with virtualization software, processes, and services
- VMware, Windows, Linux knowledge, Windows Server skills and desktop management (using Windows server)
- Familiarity with and an ability to master a wide range of workplace applications, application modules, network OS, and programming languages is a requirement. Network/Server Administrator Certification is an asset.
- Experience in building, extending and maintaining a virtual server environment
- Experience with cloud and traditional SAN/NAS data storage solutions
- Experience providing superior technical support for end users and clients, including but not limited to problem solving and debugging assistance
- Experience with traditional monitoring software packages and software utilities
- Experience with systems analysis and creative problem solving
- A working knowledge of database systems (Prefer MS SQL)
- Experience implementing, supporting, maintaining and troubleshooting infrastructure and application layers related to the deployment of applications in a Centos/Ubuntu platform.
- Experience installing and maintaining physical and virtual networks, firewalls and web application firewalls…
- Experience with the administration, maintenance and support of enterprise resource planning systems and software…
- Experience leading database projects and administering database systems…
- English communications skills should be average to exceptional
- Demonstrated ability to develop action plans that acknowledge user priorities and address business deadlines
- Ability to demonstrate successful self-motivation and the ability to work in a constantly changing environment
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- No regular travel required.